Thursday, September 22, 2011

le cafard

Last night, we had quite an interesting meal. It consisted of spaghetti, hunks of bread, french fries, a chunk of "sheep", and some barbeque-like sauce. Surprisingly tasty. Also, surprising to see so many typical American ingredients combined in a totally un-American way. I think someone decided we all needed to carbo-load on American food.

Also last night were my first close encounters with "le cafard". In english, "the cockroach." I was sitting on the terrace, watching movie with one of my host brothers when I saw a cockroach moving toward me. It was so fast, I hardly had time to jump up before it ran between my legs. I was quite disgusted. None of my host siblings seemed to understand why I would react so strongly to a mere cockroach. I think cockroaches are to the Senegalese as daddy long legs are to Michiganders. They are a part of life- you kill them when you can, but they're always going to be there.

With my new found confidence, I retired to my room for the night (the power out, of course) and reached into my luggage to change into my pajamas. When I lifted a pair of jeans from the top, guess what nasty little bugger I saw scuttling ALL OVER the top of my luggage? Yup, cockroach. I lost it. Jumped on my bed. I couldn't even get it together enough to kill it. I just watched it until it disappeared somewhere in my closet/luggage. UUGH.

My heart rate returned to normal when I tucked the mosquito net around my bed and was safely inside. I don't think I'm going to get along with my new roommate...

No comments:

Post a Comment