Friday, November 25, 2011

Lesson Learned

What sustains us, as humans? Work puts food on the table, work can challenge us to grow in different ways, but what makes us feel "whole"? I say, it's the people in my life at any given moment who I love, and who love me in return.

Anyone who thinks his wreckless work ethic that neglects his own health (mental or physical) is a product of his own talent is sadly delusioned. The only reason he might be able to operate self-destructively for long periods of time is that somebody is sustaining him through it. Somebody there to say, "Stop, breathe." Somebody to bitch to. Somebody who knows when you want a latte, or when you REALLY need a beer. Somebody to make you laugh at your own frustrations.

I've been doing a lot of reflecting on differences in lifestyle between Senegalese people, myself, and U.S. Americans as a whole (surprise, surprise). Since my arrival here in Senegal, I appreciate even more the people who support me on a daily basis. Family is the center of everything here, and everyone IS family. Whether you are friends since childhood or if five generations ago you had a relative who came from the same ethnic group as somebody else, they're considered family and they're a part of your support network. My host brother Momo once explained: if one person has a problem, it quickly becomes everyone's problem, and everyone comes together to offer their support. I see and respect that value of human support more and more as my time in Senegal continues, and I intend to continue to value those who support me on a daily basis, and do my best to offer the same support to those I care about.

Everyone needs relationships and human support, even if they live in the states, where everyone is supposed to be able to make it on their own.

No comments:

Post a Comment