Sunday, October 9, 2011

The day I was too pissed to wear pants.

You know how some days you're in such an awful mood with nothing to blame other than waking up on the wrong side of the bed? This was one of those days. I was just pissed to have been disturbed from my uncommonly restful sleep. Then, I realized my sheets were soaked with my own sweat. Fine, I thought, I'll just take a nice, refreshing shower to cool off. One of my brothers must have been taking a shower at the same time, because the water came out of the shower-head in a depressing trickle. I think the added heat of being in the tiny, enclosed, humid space of the bathroom made me sweat even more than the water could wash away. I dried off, got dressed, put on sunscreen and was ready to meet my buds to go to the island for the day. Then I touched my face and realized that none of the sunscreen had actually been absorbed into my skin. I was sweating so much, I actually felt like my face was melting. Disgusted, I ripped off all my clothes and flopped on my bed in only my swimsuit- already overwhelmed with the day even though it was only 9am.

I decided the only possible way I could survive the rest of the day would be if I wore shorts. I KNOW that its disrespectful as a woman to show my thighs- but I also KNEW that I was at my wit's absolute end for whatever reason. So I took my leaky face, scandalous shorts, dorky keens, and I bravely marched them downstairs to say goodbye to the host family. I got strange looks from everyone, and one of the older women pointed at the approximate thigh region on my body and commented, "C'est jolie comme ca! (It is pretty like that)" I have no idea if she meant my pasty, hairy legs, or if she meant my worn-out running shorts. Both seemed equally unlikely, so I just point at myself and said emphatically, "RIEN est jolie ici. (NOTHING is pretty here.)" To which the entire room busted up laughing.

Look out Dakar, I got thunder thighs, and I'm NOT afraid to bare them!

No comments:

Post a Comment