Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Considering maybe possibly thinking about packing... tomorrow?

Okay folks, it is officially crunch time. A little more than two weeks before I leave!

My delightful road trip with Chloe to go visit Sarah (and the disappointingly wimpy Irene) came to an end, and real life started up again. I came home to find that my health insurance would not, in fact, cover the malaria medication for which I received a prescription (an increased cost of, say, a mere $500). You'll be glad to hear that after only a few stressful and confusing phone calls later, the matter is mostly sorted out. I also have a second line of defense: treating my clothes with permethrin, an insecticide.

Photobucket

Now, I am looking to all of the other details of preparing to live on another continent for six months. Details such as having finding space to pack a six month supply of pads/tampons (apparently very expensive in Senegal) and condoms (my dad didn't laugh when I told him this meant I needed to take 600 condoms). All of these preparations for Senegal are adding up to a considerable price tag. Tonight, my mom told me I would probably need to purchase my OWN luggage. Can you say byebyepaycheck, and hello grown-up swag? :)

Photobucket

While not astronomical, these unforeseen costs have made me anxious. I don't want to add any more to my family's financial burden. And, thinking back to this time last year when I was wrapping up a life-changing month of LandSea, I left feeling completely satisfied and content with the the pack on my back and the gear it carried. Now, I am sad to realize I have so much energy tied to these material possessions. Shopping lists, budgets, camera charger hunt, blahblahblah, soul-sucking capitalism, you know what I'm talking about.

Come on, man. Can't we just live on the food we find, the clothes we're wearing, and the people we love? Just kidding. But really...

No comments:

Post a Comment